SHOW ME THE MONEY, HONEY.......
My thoughts on breeding, condensed ......I see many websites that advertise healthy breeding....but I ask myself, where is the proof? Do I see any evidence these breeders have tested their breeding stock? And do we have the actual reports from the various labs to back up our claims? Seemingly “NO” is the answer. So I ask you, Dear Collie Loving Consumer, have you done your due diligence investigation of this breeder and asked the hard questions? You drive the market demand for puppies! If you do not show breeders you want higher quality of health in the collies YOU INVEST IN, then you accept bad breeding practices in many cases. Tests do no insure everything will be perfect, but at least the known defects have been examined before a careful breeding takes place!
These are a few suggestions from me, when you do your research:
- What is the MDR status of the parents or expected status of these pups?
- What is the PRA status of the parents or expected pups?
- What kind of diet do you feed the mom during pregnancy?
- What kind of temperaments do you breed for?
- And where does the mom and pups live before you accept them as your own?
- And show me the lab reports on the parents? verbal explanations are not sufficient!
- And where is the evidence this breeder is active in AKC or UKC sports with their pack of dogs?
or are they just warehousing breeding stock to make a cash crop of puppies?
- Referrals from past customers about dogs purchased and customer service received?
- Lastly does your future “Lassie” actually look somewhat like the breed standard? You can see the breed standard at the Collie Club of America by clicking here.
If your breeder answers these questions honestly and fully, I would say you have hit gold! So I recommend BUYER BEWARE, AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK! oh get a contract too! ~ WVC